Photo

Would your trophies keep you tied to Sony...?

• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

Dreakon139

Dreakon139

Pro

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,744 posts
  • LocationBuffalo, NY
Just a "what if" scenario.

Lets pretend the PS4 really disappoints. Hardware-wise it doesn't seem a ton better than the PS3, feature-wise it's not a lot better, poor launch titles and little sign of improvement on the horizon. Then Microsoft brings out a console that is truly "next-gen", the Xbox 720.

Would your trophies play a role in deciding whether or not you go Xbox? Is your PSN account too precious to give up on, even if the next Playstation console is kind of a dud?

K9_Rage_Mastr

K9_Rage_Mastr

The One and Only

• PipPipPip
  • 423 posts
  • LocationSomewhere in Los Angeles
I'll continue to play PS games from my PS3 and/or PS2, Vita, PSP, whatever PS system I have at the time. However, I might go to XBox for new games if PS exclusives don't cut it. To answer your question, trophies have nothing to do with it.

ille1234

ille1234

Advanced

• PipPipPipPip
  • 559 posts
  • LocationSweden!
I'd switch over to the Xbox. The only reason why I picked the PS3 in the first place was because it was a step ahead of the Xbox hardware wise, with the blu-ray and whatnot. If the Xbox where to be one step of the Playstation during the next generation, the decision would be easy for me.

Also if the Xbox where to be as far ahead as you described it you would be an idiot not to switch over :P

spankyNspronkle

spankyNspronkle

Advanced

• PipPipPipPip
  • 501 posts
  • LocationNew York
I like to collect trophies, but achievements were my initial drug of choice lol

The major thing that keeps me on the ps3 is that I don't have to pay to play live. If PS4 made PS+ mandatory and the console was a dud, I'd be back to achievement huntin'

Posted Image

Shadowrider50

Shadowrider50

Tailsfan

• PipPipPip
  • 227 posts
  • LocationAustralia
I probably won't buy ps4 until a long time after it's release and it's price is low.
If the ps4 is horrible, instead of forking out money for an xbox 720 i just won't buy the ps4 and will stick with my ps3 which will still be good and the games will be cheaper on ps3 as well at that time so i'd be able to get alot of trophies quickly rather than spending the higher price of games on a new console.

I'm planning, if the ps4 is good, i will buy it once it's price reaches around $300AUD and a slim version is out. If it isn't good i'll stick with my ps3 and continue playing games on it.

BDKSimba

BDKSimba

GoD Save Da King!. *0_o*

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,289 posts
  • Locationda Lonely space between fantasy & reality..
if the PS4 was to disappoint, I would ride My PS3 till it died. Then go out & buy Me another even slimmer slim with a bigger HD. And ride that till it dies. Then ask them to print out a copy of My PSNprofiles trophy page and burry Me with it so I can talk shit on the other side.
But to answer question by OP, yes. The PS3 and their trophy system plays a big part in My gaming. Everything about the PS3 to Me is sleek. Still, the PS4 better not disappoint.

Brenden

Brenden

Premium Member

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 334 posts
  • LocationAustralia
Yes it would.

If you like WRESTLING then you will love my videos, check them out below!

http://www.youtube.c...er/BrendenPlayz

civilred1

civilred1

• Pip
  • 24 posts
My trophies wouldn't keep me to Playstation, my love of Playstation would. I've owned every Playstation ever released and my brief flirtation with the XBox 360 (which I bought after my PS3) led to disappointment and confirmed for me which is the better console. I sold my 360 for an iPhone showing that Angry Birds is better than Halo
Posted Image

iraqoz

iraqoz

Rookie

• PipPipPip
  • 148 posts
NO

well the PS have a special place in my heart, but not more than that. Trophies or not ps3 is the best consul I have tried even better than xbox360 (now that I bought one for 2 months ago) so Iam pretty satisfied with the ps3.

xbox720 or ps4 will wait A LONG time.

Posted Image

Quote of the week:

"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool." - William Shakespeare

dgaustin

dgaustin

Advanced

• PipPipPipPip
  • 809 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX
Nope, it be my hatred for Xbox more than my love for playstation.

Feel free to add me on PSN with a message that you are from here. If you see a game that I'm high in percentage, but am missing online trophies, I'll definitely boost with you!

pEt6b.png

Lil_Mermaid_Girl

Lil_Mermaid_Girl

Rookie

• PipPipPip
  • 183 posts
  • LocationUSA

Nope, it be my hatred for Xbox more than my love for playstation.

Hahahaha. :yay:

I wouldn't switch to Xbox because my family isn't going to pay for 3 gold accounts just so we each can play on our names like we do now for free. Multiple gamers in one house should be able to use the same service if they paid for it. I could possibly be convinced to switch over in the absolute worst case scenario described above, but only and I mean only, if Microsoft fixed that issue. Otherwise I'd stick with PS3 for a long time. It's not like I don't already have a huge backlog of games or something...
Posted Image
I'm featured on the official PS blog!!

GameOverComesAll

GameOverComesAll

Overlord

• PipPipPip
  • 246 posts
I base which system(s) I have on the most logical path... whichever has the most amount of games I'd enjoy. The fact that NIS rarely ever releases any of their games on non-Sony systems means I won't be switching to another company's console. Even regardless of that though, I have enjoyed so many of the Sony exclusive titles, especially LittleBigPlanet. Meanwhile, I cannot think of any games released solely for the Xbox360 that I want to play. There are two Wii titles I'd like to play, but those cannot compare to the many Sony exclusive titles, and that isn't even getting into the laughable third party support. It's an interesting question though, and I would obviously have to switch if those games somehow all became Xbox exclusives. It would be a shame to abandon my PSN account though. I like the idea of being able to look back over the last ten years in one account and see what I was doing at any given time.

GameOverComesAll.png

acasser

acasser

Rookie

• PipPipPip
  • 266 posts
  • Locationnorthern New Jersey
I didn't buy a PS3 out of loyalty to Sony. I bought it because they have a significantly greater number of games that I'll play as compared to the other platforms.

I won't stick with Sony because of my trophies. If a competitor's console in the next generation has more games that I'll play as compared to a PS4, I'll jump ship faster than you can say Jack Robinson.

That being said, I probably wouldn't buy a next generation console when it first comes out. I'd wait for a substantial number of game developers to migrate to said next generation and the current one to become far less viable, the same way I didn't migrate from PS2 to PS3 quite so early.

Deth

Deth

自殺

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,454 posts
  • LocationLe Cabaret de L’Enfer
No, I've always been with Sony. If the 720 is backwards compatible with free internet like PSN, then I might consider getting one, but not before the PS4.

EDIT: Then again, I prefer Sony's exclusives over Xbox's, but we shall see.

Deth_Breath.png

PSN: Deth_Breath / XBL: SenzuriPowerUp

Wade_VC

Wade_VC

Pro

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,397 posts
  • LocationLodi, CA

if the PS4 was to disappoint, I would ride My PS3 till it died. Then go out & buy Me another even slimmer slim with a bigger HD. And ride that till it dies.

I am with ya' there BDK. There are still a shit-load of games I haven't played, and the PS3 will keep me busy for some time to come. I have always been a SONY fan since the PS1, and it is for that reason, not trophies, achievements or anything else that I stick with them.
If the PS4 were to turn out to be a dud, I won't purchase one and do just as you stated in the quote.

Just as trophies don't drive my gaming choices on the PS3, neither will it for the PS4 or to make a switch to the XBOX for "cheevos".

Posted Image

Zallera

Zallera

• Pip
  • 21 posts
Hell I've still got Ps2 games in my collection that I haven't played yet. I could probably keep myself busy till the PS5 launches if i wanted to. I'm just hopping that the Vita does more for the "Playstation Experience" than what little the PSP did.

MarkGibbons

MarkGibbons

Retired Hunter

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 281 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, Australia
Yes, trophies will keep me with sony, forever.

MarkGibbons.png?8941

ScreechingOwl

ScreechingOwl

Premium Member

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 407 posts
  • LocationGransys
Playing along to your "what if" scenario I would stick with Sony. Not because I would think the PS4 to be the superior console, but simply as I would be used to Sony and the Playstation. Misplaced brand loyalty I would call it. So the answer is no, trophies wouldn't keep me with Sony.
Posted Image

PSXtreme_

PSXtreme_

Possum Hunter

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,171 posts
  • LocationLong Lane, MO
Backwards compatability is what keeps me coming back for more...I love the fact that I can play anything I got and don't have to switch machines from one to another.

Hell I've still got Ps2 games in my collection that I haven't played yet.

Yeah, I guess you could say I'm in the same boat...The Gaming Collection

Honestly, I don't think I need to buy another game and still never have something "new" to play...hell, I still have games shrink-wrapped in the back room. However, as long as Sony puts out a quality system, I don't have a need to go somewhere else.

Artemisthemp

Artemisthemp

Iris Heart

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,965 posts
  • LocationDenmark
Don't feel like paying for playing online or paying to play demo on their release date and doubt Microsoft will let me chat with my PSN friends, so I stay ad Sony.
Posted Image
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users