Photo

Would your trophies keep you tied to Sony...?

• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

allenbird

allenbird

Game Connoisseur

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 437 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina
I never felt the need to switch consoles really. I mean even when I had a PS2 and the xbox came out there was no desire there to buy an xbox cause it was the next best thing.

That being said, trophies may play some role in me staying now, if only just the knowledge of my entire accomplishment profile being on the PS3 for now.

Honestly even if sony went out of business, idk if I would ever go buy an xbox. there just isn't anything with the xbox that attracts me in any way, aside from a few people I know who play xbox exclsuively and would want me to play with them.

Who knows. I guess one could wait and see. Trophies are a way for me to track game progress. Idk if I would enjoy achievements as much.

Maitre

Maitre

Premium Member

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 405 posts
  • LocationCanada
95% of the 360 exclusives also see a release on PC ... i'd get a PC and install linux before i'd get an xbox or trust microsoft for my gaming needs

SIDEWINDER_21X

SIDEWINDER_21X

Rookie

• PipPipPip
  • 291 posts
  • LocationEngland
To be honest, one of the main reasons I chose the PS3 from the start is because of the Blu-ray. However I do also far prefer the trophy system to the achievement system, so it would be a big decision. I think the games I already own would keep me more tied to Sony than the trophies, because a next gen console is likely to have backward compatibility (at least I hope it will!), and so going for an Xbox would render all my games practically useless :(

Posted Image

JennifairyW

JennifairyW

Lalafellian

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 439 posts
  • LocationArendelle
I'd stick with Sony just because PS systems have always been my console of choice, ever since my dad bought me my first Playstation when i was about 7, think it secretly was because he wanted it though <_< I won't be able to afford PS4 when it comes out anyway so i'll be on PS3 for some time to come. Also no charge for online play is a big plus for me.

JennifairyW.png

https://facebook.com/jennifairywart

Somewhere between the time you arrive, and the time you go, may lie a reason you were alive, but you'll never know

hunglikeamuppet

hunglikeamuppet

Lord Helmet

• PipPipPip
  • 176 posts
  • Locationon Spaceball1
i wouldn't say i'm tied to sony in any way, but the trophy system is a nice little perk for me. i am such a casual casual gamer, and trophies are a nice little bonus that give me a sense of accomplishment after being able to spend a random 30 minutes or an hour of game time in between weeks or a few months.

Posted Image

Pipsqweek

Pipsqweek

Rookie

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 313 posts
  • LocationPeterborough
Nope, just like the achievements system didn't keep me tied to my 360, so I compromised, and have both.
I've also expanded on that slightly by getting a Windows 7 phone and my Vita arrives tomorrow :D
Achievements/Trophies, they both have their place in my gaming life...

angei3

angei3

Rookie

• PipPipPip
  • 219 posts
"Would your trophies play a role in deciding whether or not you go Xbox? Is your PSN account too precious to give up on, even if the next Playstation console is kind of a dud? " I wouldn't switch since theres way more games I like off playstation then xbox.
Posted Image

Parker

Parker

Fight the Future

• 5,708 posts
  • LocationThe Wind Squid Pub
I'd keep doing what I've been doing for years and buy both systems. I've never encountered a system that didn't have something that I liked on it, so I can easily justify the purchase price for both even if one if obviously inferior.

Parker

pokesigname_by_jennifairyw-d7hp77e.png

Gotakibono

Gotakibono

Tougher than Ricky Oh

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 852 posts
  • LocationIreland
Sony consistently putting the best product on the market keeps me tied to them.

sjny.png

“If you’re going to try, go all the way. Otherwise, don’t even start. This could mean losing girlfriends, wives, relatives and maybe even your mind. It could mean not eating for three or four days. It could mean freezing on a park bench. It could mean jail. It could mean derision. It could mean mockery–isolation. Isolation is the gift. All the others are a test of your endurance, of how much you really want to do it. And, you’ll do it, despite rejection and the worst odds. And it will be better than anything else you can imagine. If you’re going to try, go all the way. There is no other feeling like that. You will be alone with the gods, and the nights will flame with fire. You will ride life straight to perfect laughter. It’s the only good fight there is.”

- Charles Bukowski

Gotakibono.png

BDKSimba

BDKSimba

GoD Save Da King!. *0_o*

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,289 posts
  • Locationda Lonely space between fantasy & reality..

I never felt the need to switch consoles really. I mean even when I had a PS2 and the xbox came out there was no desire there to buy an xbox cause it was the next best thing.

That being said, trophies may play some role in me staying now, if only just the knowledge of my entire accomplishment profile being on the PS3 for now.

Honestly even if sony went out of business, idk if I would ever go buy an xbox. there just isn't anything with the xbox that attracts me in any way, aside from a few people I know who play xbox exclsuively and would want me to play with them.

Who knows. I guess one could wait and see. Trophies are a way for me to track game progress. Idk if I would enjoy achievements as much.

Posted Image
I'm Guilty as Charged.

Blanc

Blanc

Lowee CPU

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 337 posts
I'll be sticking with Sony, mostly becuase I prefer "niche" titles over these overhyped mainstream titles (COD being the one I loath most), and almost every niche title released onto the 360 to date has also been released onto the PS3, I have also played every Sony console (minus the PocketStation), yet I never had an Xbox, only a 360.

uvZo64N.gif

cmgravekeeper

cmgravekeeper

....IoS King....

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,072 posts
  • LocationNew York

I probably won't buy ps4 until a long time after it's release and it's price is low.
If the ps4 is horrible, instead of forking out money for an xbox 720 i just won't buy the ps4 and will stick with my ps3 which will still be good and the games will be cheaper on ps3 as well at that time so i'd be able to get alot of trophies quickly rather than spending the higher price of games on a new console.

I'm planning, if the ps4 is good, i will buy it once it's price reaches around $300AUD and a slim version is out. If it isn't good i'll stick with my ps3 and continue playing games on it.

Exactly what he said....I plan on sticking with the PS3 for a while even when the PS4 comes out....

8TdVC0e.gif     CVwJwA5.png     

Avatar, Signature, & IV Card by: cmgravekeeper     

Immortal Venom Creations  -  Signature Showcase  -  Trophy Checklist

Wade_VC

Wade_VC

Pro

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,397 posts
  • LocationLodi, CA

I plan on sticking with the PS3 for a while even when the PS4 comes out....

The only way I would even consider a PS4 anytime soon is if it were backwards compatible with my PS3 games. If not, it will be quite a while before I buy another console that requires media specific to that version. There are literally hundreds of games I have yet to play or would like to play on my PS3, so it isn't as if I would be lacking any games by not taking the plunge right away.

Regardless if it is the PS3 or PS4, trophies never have or had a consideration on my gaming/console purchases. I have been a fan of SONY products for years, and will continue to be, trophies or not.

Posted Image

Stevieboy

Stevieboy

Lifetime Premium Member

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,629 posts
  • LocationScotland
I chose a PS3 over the 360 for a number of reasons:

Owned a PS1 and PS2 but not an original X-Box, so there was brand loyalty.
Blu-ray drive, so the technology had more potential.
Console exclusives were the kind of games I like to play, e.g. Uncharted, God of War, Metal Gear Solid, Ratchet & Clank, Little Big Planet etc.
Free online access and gaming.

I wouldn't be in any rush to buy the next gen consoles anyway, as I still have a lot of games to keep me going for a long time yet. I would never rule myself out of buying the next X-Box, but the above factors will feature very highly in my decision. Trophies wouldn't be an issue however.

stevieboy1975.png

cmgravekeeper

cmgravekeeper

....IoS King....

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,072 posts
  • LocationNew York

The only way I would even consider a PS4 anytime soon is if it were backwards compatible with my PS3 games. If not, it will be quite a while before I buy another console that requires media specific to that version. There are literally hundreds of games I have yet to play or would like to play on my PS3, so it isn't as if I would be lacking any games by not taking the plunge right away.

Regardless if it is the PS3 or PS4, trophies never have or had a consideration on my gaming/console purchases. I have been a fan of SONY products for years, and will continue to be, trophies or not.

Yeah....I still have PS2 games that I never got to....if the PS4 came out I'd be completing my PS3 games first.....

8TdVC0e.gif     CVwJwA5.png     

Avatar, Signature, & IV Card by: cmgravekeeper     

Immortal Venom Creations  -  Signature Showcase  -  Trophy Checklist

Stevieboy

Stevieboy

Lifetime Premium Member

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,629 posts
  • LocationScotland

Yeah....I still have PS2 games that I never got to....if the PS4 came out I'd be completing my PS3 games first.....

That would be my plan too, but history tells me otherwise. Still got not only PS2 games unplayed, but some PS1 ones also :blush:

stevieboy1975.png

CompSci88

CompSci88

Rookie

• PipPipPip
  • 165 posts
  • LocationCalifornia
As long as Final Fantasy games are PS exclusive or multiplatform I'll stay with Sony. However, if they become xbox exclusive then I don't see any reason to stay with Sony anymore.

CompSci88.png

Currently playing: Cleaning backlog

Piggie_Pie

Piggie_Pie

Premium Member

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,423 posts
  • LocationIn the Pig Pen
I will never buy a Microsoft system unless its a PC... the xbox was built on the shoulders of Playstation... Understand that i am a Sony fanboy but not just because they are the best but because they are leaders and trailblazers... The Playstation has always provided for my gaming needs (ive owned every PS system... PS1 came out when i was in highschool) and have gone above and beyond what i could have ever asked for...

Microsoft has NEVER had an exclusive that has made me feel like i needed an xbox.

Plus... Playstation has WAY more Japanese games on it because Microsoft is solely here to support western gamers (nothing wrong with that but its just not what I like)... They only get "popular" Japanese RPGs such as Final Fantasy and very rare JRPG exclusives...

The only two systems allowed in my house are Nintendo and Sony (well, and Atari of course)... The only thing Nintendo lacks now is a trophy/achievement system...

To be honest, im not really excited for the next-gen system because i have enough games on my shelf right now to last me for two years (because i like JRPGs and they last about 100+ hours each)... not to mention the games that will be coming out in the next couple years that i will get... I probably wont get a PS4 until 2 years after it comes out just because of my backlog (unless its backwards compatible... in that case i would buy one a lot sooner and just play my PS3 games on it).

Posted Image

I <3 JRPGs

Edddyy

Edddyy

Captain

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 203 posts
  • LocationUnknown
Id go on work on the 81000 GS more then.
Posted Image Posted Image

Thanks to Fox for the sig

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users