• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

steelsammy

steelsammy

Pro

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,443 posts
  • LocationNew York
After scrolling through the Metacritic section devoted to Mass Effect 3, something really intrigued me. Namely, why Mass Effect 3 was getting trolled in the User Review section.

http://www.metacriti...-reviews?page=0

The critic average is a 94/100, yet the user score is 47/100. Why? I have no idea. Now, it doesn't take much looking to see that these reviews are highly uneducated. They complain about stories 'reaching the same end no matter what', being 'too mainstream', day-one DLC, and the occasional gay-hate speech. A handful complain about legitimate issues, the rest are just....well, shit. Here's a few of the memorably stupid ones-

Horrible game. Don't listen to the Biodrones. Worst ending in the history of videogames. Also; not wanting to be approched for gaysex every 10minutes doesn't make me a homophobe. I'd be totally happy with a "I'M NOT GAY" setting in the option screen.

I'm very disappointed how this series ended. There's plenty of flaws that one could overlook, such as the horrible graphics and the general awful animations. Doesn't change the fact that the story is one of the biggest letdowns in video games. What's the point of playing a Bioware if the writing is subpar?

THIS IS PROTEST! EA and Bioware should be ashamed of themselves for launching the game with Day 1 DLC! We play full price for our games, so we're entitled to the FULL GAME. The extra downloadable content could have been included in the game at launch! furthermore, they are discouraging the purchase of used games. If we keep on giving in and patting these guys on the back for using these methods to eke more money out of us, we only have ourselves to blame when these big companies take advantage of us again. I guess the only way these clowns will learn to stop squeezing even more money out of gamers is to boycott their game and take down the user score. Seriously, lets destroy this thing

So, I raise the question- what sad, deprived kind of human has the time to write a hate-speech for a game they've never played, or to NOT being playing Mass Effect 3?

In related news, SteelSammy is sad because Amazon fucked me over, gotta wait until tomorrow to play. Though, just by playing the DEMO I can tell you this hate is uneducated.

Zairozen- Wow, he can hold his beer as well (Sammy adams). *Applaud* I underestimated you, SteelSatan.

-------------

DJ13202- "I change my mind about a news team...Steelsammy should just be dictated news team because every piece of news I really even care about comes from him...so no news team...just...SAMMY"

bzoKJJk.gif

---------

AlteredFormula- "Sammy!! I think I love you!"

---------

BDKSimba- "gonna call U sammy badass from now on"

dontwaketheKIDS

dontwaketheKIDS

Lvl 3 Dad

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 359 posts
  • LocationThe River City
Been following this. Some people just like to see the world burn. Social ratings rely on the integrity of its users. Trolling, disgruntled, anonymous tools have no integrity apparently.

Wandererster

Wandererster

Change Getter!!

• PipPipPipPip
  • 920 posts
Day 1 DLC is like a backstab to some of loyal customers.

LE PS3 MGS4 - 2008 - 8/12/2012 Status: retired

Wandererster.png

Blank Friend Requests will be ignored.

skidmarkgn

skidmarkgn

Advanced

• PipPipPipPip
  • 649 posts
  • LocationRoy, Wa
When anonymity is involved and you don't have to look someone in the eye, people turn ugly and petty. Not many people want to actually sit and think about what they do and don't like without any bias and those that do get payed for it. I can't stand review sites that are open to the general public myself because the general public abuses the privilege. They think it's cool to "go against the grain" and bash what ever's popular or they straight have their heads up their asses, and don't even get me started on the "kid" factor.
Posted Image

angei3

angei3

Rookie

• PipPipPip
  • 219 posts
I seen more people who actually like the game then hate it beside I don't give rats ass about those who say hate it. If they haven't even play game or not even half complete game.
Posted Image

Artemisthemp

Artemisthemp

Iris Heart

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,065 posts
  • LocationDenmark

Day 1 DLC is like a backstab to some of loyal customers.

You mean like all SF X Tekken DLC actual are on the disc (even Vita Character)?

Pururut_HDD.png
artemisthemp.png 

Spark-N

Spark-N

You just been Dubbledor'd

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 914 posts
  • LocationGrimoire Wiess' Pages
That last one is hilarious, having a couple if people boycott the game or reducing a score on a random website isn't gonna make EA rethink DLC and Online Passes

I find it funny the way these people think
Spark-N.png

Artemisthemp

Artemisthemp

Iris Heart

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,065 posts
  • LocationDenmark

That last one is hilarious, having a couple if people boycott the game or reducing a score on a random website isn't gonna make EA rethink DLC and Online Passes

I find it funny the way these people think

It did with BF3 Pre-order DLC.

Pururut_HDD.png
artemisthemp.png 

ihadalifeb4this

ihadalifeb4this

forever a noob

• PipPip
  • 73 posts
  • Locationinternet
I just played demo so I can't really say anything about Mass Effect,but to be honest I'm really tired of all bullshit from EA.I have two EA games that I will never platinum if I don't spend more money.In Army Of Two I need to pay for mask and in Burnout I need camera that works with PS3. So when you have to pay 10$ to get 100% trophies in game that you pre-ordered you have every right to be angry.Unless they wrote on box "only 98% of trophies included in price" there is no good excuse for doing something like that.No,wait ... buying another mansion is a good excuse... greedy ****s.When I'm playing game I like to push buttons and it's really annoying when "game" is trying to push my buttons instead.

PSXtreme_

PSXtreme_

Possum Hunter

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,177 posts
  • LocationLong Lane, MO
Metacritic USED to be an exclusive review site. I'm not sure of its standards now, but about 5 years ago you had to go through a pretty extensive site evaluation before they would take you in and your review scores would count for the average. I believe the review number was around 250 posted reviews on your site then they would begin to count for the average.

Stevieboy

Stevieboy

Lifetime Premium Member

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,970 posts
  • LocationScotland

Been following this. Some people just like to see the world burn. Social ratings rely on the integrity of its users. Trolling, disgruntled, anonymous tools have no integrity apparently.

When anonymity is involved and you don't have to look someone in the eye, people turn ugly and petty. Not many people want to actually sit and think about what they do and don't like without any bias and those that do get payed for it. I can't stand review sites that are open to the general public myself because the general public abuses the privilege. They think it's cool to "go against the grain" and bash what ever's popular or they straight have their heads up their asses, and don't even get me started on the "kid" factor.

Couldn't agree more.

I don't really pay that much attention to reviews of a game as it's only really my own opinion that matters to me. Other people aren't gonna know what I like or don't like in a game. It's me that'll be playing the game anyway.

stevieboy1975.png

steelsammy

steelsammy

Pro

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,443 posts
  • LocationNew York

I just played demo so I can't really say anything about Mass Effect,but to be honest I'm really tired of all bullshit from EA.I have two EA games that I will never platinum if I don't spend more money.In Army Of Two I need to pay for mask and in Burnout I need camera that works with PS3. So when you have to pay 10$ to get 100% trophies in game that you pre-ordered you have every right to be angry.Unless they wrote on box "only 98% of trophies included in price" there is no good excuse for doing something like that.No,wait ... buying another mansion is a good excuse... greedy ****s.When I'm playing game I like to push buttons and it's really annoying when "game" is trying to push my buttons instead.

In case you didn't notice, EA is in the business of making money. They're very good at it. This is part of why.

Metacritic USED

I usually only pay attention to the critic reviews.

Also, I have reason to believe this is 4Chan's doing. So it's not actually 'people' doing it, par say, just pond scum.

Zairozen- Wow, he can hold his beer as well (Sammy adams). *Applaud* I underestimated you, SteelSatan.

-------------

DJ13202- "I change my mind about a news team...Steelsammy should just be dictated news team because every piece of news I really even care about comes from him...so no news team...just...SAMMY"

bzoKJJk.gif

---------

AlteredFormula- "Sammy!! I think I love you!"

---------

BDKSimba- "gonna call U sammy badass from now on"

skidmarkgn

skidmarkgn

Advanced

• PipPipPipPip
  • 649 posts
  • LocationRoy, Wa
The 3rd quote (the one about a protest) is the one that makes me laugh the most. At least he actually used the word entitled because that's what it's all about these days. The average gamer seems to think that these companies owe them something for some reason... they don't. He bitches about paying full price and not receiving a full game but I have yet to hear about the game not being finished... who knows, maybe the game cuts off before the end boss and tells you it's gonna cost $10 to finish it *makes dismissive jacking off motion*. I also love how he "exposed" their discouraging of buying used. It's pretty common knowledge that the used market takes a LOT of money out of their pockets and they're against it. Not to mention there isn't a person alive that wouldn't also discourage it if it was happening to them. Here's the long and short of it... Bioware is under no obligation to place any ADD-ON content on the disc if they don't want to. People need to seriously get over themselves.
Posted Image

orenjikitty

orenjikitty

Rookie

• PipPipPip
  • 341 posts
  • LocationCanada
What a bunch of BS. I know there's a lot of backlash from Steam supporters because of Origin but that doesnt mean the game is shit. Everyone has their own takes on each game but outright bashing it without playing the game, or boycotting it is just idiotic to me. The Day 1 DLC is kinda stupid, especially with what you get for $10.

Posted Image

ACII || Dante's Inferno || UC1 || The Saboteur || UC2|| Sly1 || Heavy Rain || ACB || LA Noire || ACR || ME2 || ME3

Working on: Borderlands || DAO || inFamous 2

Deviant Art || Immortal Venom Creations || Check List || Showcase

AlteredFormula

AlteredFormula

Remember, the enemy's gate is down

• 1,325 posts
  • LocationUK
A lot of the criticism on metacritic seems to be focused on the fact that they "dared" to include a gay relationship in the game...
...Really?!!

"Yeah i'll give it a 2 because there is fags in it."

2012, and people are still homophobic, Unfortunately, its due to morons like these that the general population will never take video games as a serious medium IMO.

14144r6.png

Blank friend requests are always rejected.  Stating you are from PSNP doesnt mean you will be accepted either.  If we don't chat here, and we don't play the same games, you'll probably get rejected.

orenjikitty

orenjikitty

Rookie

• PipPipPip
  • 341 posts
  • LocationCanada

A lot of the criticism on metacritic seems to be focused on the fact that they "dared" to include a gay relationship in the game...
...Really?!!

"Yeah i'll give it a 2 because there is fags in it."

2012, and people are still homophobic, Unfortunately, its due to morons like these that the general population will never take video games as a serious medium IMO.

Yeah....the thing that they forget too is that, as Female Shepard, you can have a gay relationship with an alien. But once the Male on Male relationship pops up, it's not good anymore. *sigh*

Posted Image

ACII || Dante's Inferno || UC1 || The Saboteur || UC2|| Sly1 || Heavy Rain || ACB || LA Noire || ACR || ME2 || ME3

Working on: Borderlands || DAO || inFamous 2

Deviant Art || Immortal Venom Creations || Check List || Showcase

acasser

acasser

Rookie

• PipPipPip
  • 300 posts
  • Locationnorthern New Jersey
There are a lot of people out there who can't possibly be happy unless everyone else around them is miserable. There are a lot of people out there who can't possibly be happy unless they have something to complain about.... and if there's nothing to complain about, that is what they'll complain about.

As for the specific trolls with the sense of entitlement and complaining about DLC.... you're starting to see the ramifications of all those "participation certificates" and "gold stars" that were given to everyone a generation ago and the inability of anyone to punish them for anything they do wrong. Those kids grew up with that sense of entitlement and being rewarded at every turn for every pathetic, little thing. Those kids also grew up not having to face up to the consequences of something being wrong, either because it was excused or because anyone who wished to enforce discipline was removed as "being a bad influence" (or other such garbage). Now those kids spawned more kids just like them, only this new generation has even fewer people around with values and a moral grounding to offer a counterpoint. They've come to expect that they'll simply be given everything they want, whether or not they've earned it or even deserve it in the first place. It's not just a community like MetaCritic, but it's also very evident in the world at large.

Personally, I've decided I'm not going to touch Mass Effect 3 with an eleven-foot Bohunk (which is what you use when a ten-foot pole isn't enough). It doesn't have anything to do with reviews or trolls or anything -- I simply decided that I wasn't particularly interested in the overall experience, that I have enough other games to keep me occupied, and that I'd prefer not to spend the money. I don't have to go out and try to drive everyone else away from the game just to make myself happy, however.

skidmarkgn

skidmarkgn

Advanced

• PipPipPipPip
  • 649 posts
  • LocationRoy, Wa

There are a lot of people out there who can't possibly be happy unless everyone else around them is miserable. There are a lot of people out there who can't possibly be happy unless they have something to complain about.... and if there's nothing to complain about, that is what they'll complain about.

As for the specific trolls with the sense of entitlement and complaining about DLC.... you're starting to see the ramifications of all those "participation certificates" and "gold stars" that were given to everyone a generation ago and the inability of anyone to punish them for anything they do wrong. Those kids grew up with that sense of entitlement and being rewarded at every turn for every pathetic, little thing. Those kids also grew up not having to face up to the consequences of something being wrong, either because it was excused or because anyone who wished to enforce discipline was removed as "being a bad influence" (or other such garbage). Now those kids spawned more kids just like them, only this new generation has even fewer people around with values and a moral grounding to offer a counterpoint. They've come to expect that they'll simply be given everything they want, whether or not they've earned it or even deserve it in the first place. It's not just a community like MetaCritic, but it's also very evident in the world at large.

Personally, I've decided I'm not going to touch Mass Effect 3 with an eleven-foot Bohunk (which is what you use when a ten-foot pole isn't enough). It doesn't have anything to do with reviews or trolls or anything -- I simply decided that I wasn't particularly interested in the overall experience, that I have enough other games to keep me occupied, and that I'd prefer not to spend the money. I don't have to go out and try to drive everyone else away from the game just to make myself happy, however.

This is so awesome I might cry.
Posted Image

silver_pigy

silver_pigy

Rookie

• PipPipPip
  • 451 posts
  • LocationOttawa Ontario
this game was one of the best games i have ever played and i loved every minute of it up until i got to the ending. i absolutly hated the ending but up until the last 10 mins of the game i was in love

Posted Image

kensredemption

kensredemption

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Bunch of fucking Actitools don't know when to sever their fucking fingers. Their ignorance and their gall is infuriating.

I'd gladly give them something to complain about - specifically by sodomizing each and every one of them.

I grew up in that generation and yet, given the experiences I endured over the last decade, I harbor no sense of entitlement. Of course, that could just be because I've been rejected by society and, in my cynicism, have learned that I have to earn my keep - talking down to the whiny bastards that you've pointed out as a result. The difference between you and me, I suppose, is my semi-neurotic obsession with coercing those incessantly nagging ♥s into simply shutting the fuck up. In any case, you really shouldn't paint the youth of the world with the same brush. It'd make you just as ignorant as they are.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users