109 replies to this topic

bmj14772

bmj14772

What's next?

• Guide Team
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,224 posts
  • LocationNew York
Added a few tips to Lost Planet 2; this is a really neat idea.

obcqy1a.png
bmj14772.png

Dreakon139

Dreakon139

Pro

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,744 posts
  • LocationBuffalo, NY
Just a thought in terms of editing tips, maybe just give the user a day or two buffer after posting the tip? That way they can't come back a month later and change their highly rated tip into something stupid... but if there's a mistake or something that needs to be clarified the user has an opportunity to make changes.

Seems like an ideal compromise to me. :yay:

CompSci88

CompSci88

Rookie

• PipPipPip
  • 165 posts
  • LocationCalifornia
1000 word limit is too small. I have posted tips for Star Ocean Chaos Speedrun, but the limit prevent me put in some additional helpful tips.

CompSci88.png

Currently playing: Cleaning backlog

Dreakon139

Dreakon139

Pro

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,744 posts
  • LocationBuffalo, NY

1000 word limit is too small. I have posted tips for Star Ocean Chaos Speedrun, but the limit prevent me put in some additional helpful tips.

I wouldn't mind seeing it bumped up to 1500 personally.

CompSci88

CompSci88

Rookie

• PipPipPip
  • 165 posts
  • LocationCalifornia
Also, I agree that we should allow some kind of editing our tips. I found a couple of typos in my tips, but I couldn't really do anything.

CompSci88.png

Muff

Muff

Check yourself before I wreck you :|

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 488 posts
  • LocationWELCOME TO HELL!

maybe you could make a thread on here in the game's forum for the tips, then link it in the tip possibly?

I reserve my right to feel uncomfortable reserve my right to be afraid.

I make mistakes and I am humbled every step of the way.
I want to be a better person. I wanna know the master plan.
Cast your stones, cast your judgement, you don't make me who I am.

- Sometimes You're the Hammer, Sometimes You're the Nail, ADTR

Dreakon139

Dreakon139

Pro

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,744 posts
  • LocationBuffalo, NY

maybe you could make a thread on here in the game's forum for the tips, then link it in the tip possibly?

I personally wouldn't like to see that become a habit for trophy tips. Especially if they only need a couple hundred more characters to clarify a few things.

Muff

Muff

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 488 posts

I personally wouldn't like to see that become a habit for trophy tips. Especially if they only need a couple hundred more characters to clarify a few things.

well, it depends on the size...i bring this up because i also wanted to add some tips for Star Ocean trophies, like a complete quest/treasure list, but those are wayyyy too long, so i thought of possibly doing that if it might work. it all depends on how much you want to add. it would be nice to see the character limit expanded, but for things like those long lists and walkthroughs and such, i think this might be a better option.

..of course, that doesnt mean for every trophy on every game, just for say a walkthrough of the hardest difficulty on a game, a complete list of collectibles and locations, etc.

Dreakon139

Dreakon139

Pro

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,744 posts
  • LocationBuffalo, NY
Yeah, I think the idea has it's uses if done right. I wonder Sly's thoughts on it though because turning the games subforum into a mountain of guides and tips smells of trouble to me. Especially since those users writing them would pretty much be claiming ownership of those particular trophies, something the trophy tip system is doing everything it can to avoid.

ant1th3s1s

ant1th3s1s

Less talk. More play.

• Guide Team
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 625 posts
  • LocationŌsutoraria

Also, I agree that we should allow some kind of editing our tips. I found a couple of typos in my tips, but I couldn't really do anything.

I PM'd Sly after posting some rubbish in a KZ2 tip and he confirmed an editing system will roll out in time.

well, it depends on the size...i bring this up because i also wanted to add some tips for Star Ocean trophies, like a complete quest/treasure list, but those are wayyyy too long, so i thought of possibly doing that if it might work. it all depends on how much you want to add. it would be nice to see the character limit expanded, but for things like those long lists and walkthroughs and such, i think this might be a better option.

..of course, that doesnt mean for every trophy on every game, just for say a walkthrough of the hardest difficulty on a game, a complete list of collectibles and locations, etc.

The less words used to relay the correct answer, the better.

Trophy guides aren't intended to be walkthroughs. If a trophy needs a walkthrough, it's easy enough to post a link to GameFAQs or YouTube.

facebookforyourface.png

PSN: ant1th3s1s | Steam: ant1th3s1s | XBL: ant1th3s1s | NNID: ant1th3s1s | Currently Playing...

CompSci88

CompSci88

Rookie

• PipPipPip
  • 165 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

No wonder why 1000 words seemed so short. On topic, there are a lot of trophies, especially the RPG's ones, required much more than 1000 characters to explain. What I posted for the speedrun was just a third of what I had in mind.

CompSci88.png

Muff

Muff

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 488 posts

I PM'd Sly after posting some rubbish in a KZ2 tip and he confirmed an editing system will roll out in time.

Trophy guides aren't intended to be walkthroughs. If a trophy needs a walkthrough, it's easy enough to post a link to GameFAQs or YouTube.

is that possible? i may just be totally lying here, but i remember talking to sly about linking youtube videos and such in tips, and he did say in some fashion that links to threads on this site should work....if they do then that is even better than making a guide yourself on here I'd say

Dreakon139

Dreakon139

Pro

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,744 posts
  • LocationBuffalo, NY

I've found myself having to cut down my tips quite a bit to fit in the 1000 character limit... and those weren't even particularly complicated trophies. I could imagine trying to write something a bit more complicated (but not enough to warrant a video or a walkthrough) would be quite the hassle. I think it could stand a bump up to maybe 1500 or even 2000 characters personally.

It would be a shame if people got in the habit of just linking to other sites.

ant1th3s1s

ant1th3s1s

Less talk. More play.

• Guide Team
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 625 posts
  • LocationŌsutoraria

is that possible? i may just be totally lying here, but i remember talking to sly about linking youtube videos and such in tips, and he did say in some fashion that links to threads on this site should work....if they do then that is even better than making a guide yourself on here I'd say

The YouTube videos currently aren't embedded in tips, but there's nothing stopping you from posting a hyperlink to an external site.

It would be a shame if people got in the habit of just linking to other sites.

It's call the 'internet' for a reason, websites aren't walled gardens. External links to similar resources such as YT videos or walkthroughs saves replicating the info here, particularly if it doesn't fit within the Trophy Tips philosophy.

In the end, the differentiation between PSNP and PS3T is we're here for the Profiles more than the Trophy Guides. Trophy Tips is a less resource-intensive way of fulfilling the latter without the mess and politics.

facebookforyourface.png

PSN: ant1th3s1s | Steam: ant1th3s1s | XBL: ant1th3s1s | NNID: ant1th3s1s | Currently Playing...

Simpo

Simpo

Premium Member

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 481 posts
  • LocationBrisbane, Australia

Agreed
Posted Image

redcell89

redcell89

Θάλασσα από αίμα

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 117 posts
  • LocationStyx below
I just got the plat for RE5, am waiting for my next trophy update, then I'll make sure to fill in the trophy tips for the ones I got, gives me a good chance to experiment with the systems capabilities so I can point out possible bugs and brainstorm more ideas for the future. :thumbsup:

Posted Image

Chambers35

Chambers35

Pro

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,286 posts
  • LocationEngland
I added 3 to Dead Island, not sure what, if anything, happens if it doesn't get rated :huh:

warfighter_by_the35thchamber-d5hz17n.png

Dr_Mayus

Dr_Mayus

Resident PHD

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,339 posts
  • LocationWinnipeg

Yes Youtube works but say it is a collectable trophy, it is annoying when it is a 10 minute youtube video and you have to jump around trying to find the item you are looking for.

This is why I never use videos in my guides because like I said I would rather just look at the description of where to find the item than have to watch a 10 minute video.

I am really not sold on the tips idea and also if you are trying to attract more people to the site this is not the way to go about it. People looking for trophies are going to go to the site with the guide over the site with random tips.

dr_mayus_by_xxhappyhippyxx-d4moqy1.gif

Check out her work at

http://xxhappyhippyxx.deviantart.com/

Azakos

Azakos

Pro

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,097 posts

I am really not sold on the tips idea and also if you are trying to attract more people to the site this is not the way to go about it. People looking for trophies are going to go to the site with the guide over the site with random tips.

The difference between the tip system and guide system is mainly that tips are open to anyone who has earned the trophy while guides are limited by post count and whoever calls it. The fact that there are "random" tips has less to do with the system and more to do with simply the user base. Not a lot of members yet, and not a lot of members posting tips. We can really only blame ourselves for that.

The only reason guides pump out more product than tips is because it is forced. You have 30 so or however many days to complete a guide, or else you're put on probation or lose guide-writing privileges or whatever. A punishment is imposed, whereas tips give you more freedom. It really all boils down to member motivation.

I can, however, vouch for more character space for tips.

Posted Image

ParkwayDrive

ParkwayDrive

Rookie

• PipPipPip
  • 210 posts
  • LocationAustralia
Also with the tips it saves one person writing a whole guide because some people just don't want to bother writing a whole trophy guide. But don't mind whacking a few tips out here or there know what I'm saying.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users