16 replies to this topic

BeautifulTorment

BeautifulTorment

Premium Member

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,180 posts
  • LocationCanada
Has anyone else seen this Mountain Dew commercial? I don't understand how this guy could do this without breaking his neck. Think about it; that is thousands of pounds of a very dense liquid coming towards you, accelerating at the speed of gravity. That is fast, that is heavy. Can someone explain the science behind this? If not, I guess people can discuss their confusion with me here.

Take a look at my checklist!

APkWq.png
BeautifulTorment.png

Lady Lilith

Lady Lilith

Resident Sega fan

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,855 posts
  • LocationCalifornia
Commercials don't have to be realistic. But yeah...False advertising? I dunno, I guess someone could sue them if they tried that.

1_zps4315bbd3.png2_zps364a77da.png4_zps1e696607.png3_zpse151aeaf.png

Malik

Malik

PSNP Official Personal Trainer

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 542 posts
  • LocationScandinavia
Well, if he had a needle or something sharp to penetrate the ballon right before impact this could be possible without injuring himself.

edit. woops spelling mistakes

Edited by maliksen, 22 July 2012 - 11:02 PM.

Currently Playing: GTA V

maliksen.png

checklist

http://psnprofiles.c...ophy-checklist/

BeautifulTorment

BeautifulTorment

Premium Member

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,180 posts
  • LocationCanada
I knew you were here for a reason malik. Such a simple answer I never thought of.

Take a look at my checklist!

APkWq.png
BeautifulTorment.png

Myers

Myers

Premium Member

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 407 posts
  • Location'Merica
Yeah he'd have had to have something to burst it or the balloon could have been altered to make it bust really easy. Otherwise, it's just good video editing :rolleyes:

55OOC.gifC_34_M.png

Avy by bigbladiaman | Platcard by Ravenscythe

Wandererster

Wandererster

Change Getter!!

• PipPipPipPip
  • 916 posts
Its possible they switched to a crash test dummy. They've been switching camera angles at long distances.

LE PS3 MGS4 - 2008 - 8/12/2012 Status: retired

Wandererster.png

Blank Friend Requests will be ignored.

Sir_Bee

Sir_Bee

Worker Bee

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 719 posts
  • LocationOntario, Canada
Its not like the giant ball was just dropped on him? He is moving slower than if he had of dove, and people do high dives all the time. Also, the water is not contained in a pool, so it would not be the same focused force on him as it would if it wer ean open box. As soon as that balloon breaks, the liquid can go every which way, and thus result in less resistance to him. The only part that would actually have damage potential would be hitting the balloon. And I don't think that would be all that bad without a needle, but as Maliksen said, that would have started the process in popping the balloon and alleviate even more of the force.

Edited by Sir_Bee, 23 July 2012 - 01:32 PM.

Sir_Bee.png

286320.png

Jester074

Jester074

Pokémon Trainer

• PipPip
  • 71 posts
  • LocationAdelaide, South Australia
There's probably a needle (or some other object capable of popping the balloon) on or near the camera attached to his helmet.
Posted Image

navep9

navep9

Nothing is True

• PipPipPip
  • 273 posts
  • LocationThe United States of America
You guys are far away from the truth. The answer is " With mountain dew involved, you can do anything."

navep9.png

:platinum: inFAMOUS 2-The Walking Dead-Lego LOTR-Skyrim-WWE '12-Lego POTC-AC II :platinum:

100%inFAMOUS 2-The Walking Dead-Lego POTC-Lego LOTR-WWE '12-AC II-inFAMOUS FOB100%

Recruiting Topic Looking for a clan/community?  Join The Wyldkatz. Website

Sir_Bee

Sir_Bee

Worker Bee

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 719 posts

You guys are far away from the truth. The answer is " With mountain dew involved, you can do anything."

Then why are the guide wires visible?

Sir_Bee.png

286320.png

JCChrono

JCChrono

Rookie

• PipPipPip
  • 264 posts

Then why are the guide wires visible?

Because with Mountain Dew, even that is possible.

Posted Image

King-OfTheGames

King-OfTheGames

Novice

• PipPip
  • 49 posts
  • LocationEurope
I don't think that this commercial is so fake, the one in the advertising is just a giant water balloon.
Considerin the size of the balloon and the speed of the impact, is like popping a conventional water balloon with a nail, the man don't need to endure a big impact force because the balloon, that fortunally was not full of Dew, is made of a thin rubber and explodes really easily.
You can see the instant of the impact at 0:18-0:19, the man penetrate the balloon like a bullet, the balloon explodes and he dont't receive all force on him, but just a little part.

Scientist King.

Edited by King-OfTheGames, 23 July 2012 - 09:53 PM.

Posted Image

Sir_Bee

Sir_Bee

Worker Bee

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 719 posts

I don't think that this commercial is so fake, the one in the advertising is just a giant water balloon.
Considerin the size of the balloon and the speed of the impact, is like popping a conventional water balloon with a nail, the man don't need to endure a big impact force because the balloon, that fortunally was not full of Dew, is made of a thin rubber and explodes really easily.
You can see the instant of the impact at 0:18-0:19, the man penetrate the balloon like a bullet, the balloon explodes and he dont't receive all force on him, but just a little part.

Scientist King.

Why do you say "Fortunately was not full of Dew"? I could not imagine that Mountain Dew would be much more dense then water? It very easily could have been filled with Dew?

Edited by Sir_Bee, 24 July 2012 - 12:35 PM.

Sir_Bee.png

286320.png

King-OfTheGames

King-OfTheGames

Novice

• PipPip
  • 49 posts
  • LocationEurope

Why do you say "Fortunately was not full of Dew"? I could not imagine that Mountain Dew would be much more dense then water? It very easily could have been filled with Dew?

Because if the balloon was filled:
it hasn't been deformed by the wind,
it gained more speed and mass then more impact force.
Posted Image

Sir_Bee

Sir_Bee

Worker Bee

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 719 posts

I misunderstood your statement. I thought you meant the contents were Water, not Dew. I agree with the full aspect.

Sir_Bee.png

286320.png

Pipsqweek

Pipsqweek

Rookie

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 313 posts
  • LocationPeterborough

Your logic is slightly flawed there...

1 - The balloon was filled and will change shape as the liquid moves within it (along with the fact the balloon is not a fixed shape).
2 - The balloon cannot gain more mass, that's fixed, its weight is determined by the gravitational force on the planet (the weight of water on earth is approx 1 ton per m³, density varies with temperature).
3 - The impact of the guy against the balloon was on the top half of the balloon, using simple geometry, that is the slowest moving part of the balloon (plus as soon as the balloon bursts the water spreads lessening the impact force, which given that over half of the fluid in the balloon was below him upon impact, wasn't as much as it appears).

King-OfTheGames

King-OfTheGames

Novice

• PipPip
  • 49 posts
  • LocationEurope

Your logic is slightly flawed there...

1 - The balloon was filled and will change shape as the liquid moves within it (along with the fact the balloon is not a fixed shape).
2 - The balloon cannot gain more mass, that's fixed, its weight is determined by the gravitational force on the planet (the weight of water on earth is approx 1 ton per m³, density varies with temperature).
3 - The impact of the guy against the balloon was on the top half of the balloon, using simple geometry, that is the slowest moving part of the balloon (plus as soon as the balloon bursts the water spreads lessening the impact force, which given that over half of the fluid in the balloon was below him upon impact, wasn't as much as it appears).

1 - Yeah that's right
2 - Supposing that is a balloon made of rubber It can gain more mass with more Dew, if fulled it still can change shape but still a ball, not a flat shape, if you understand what I mean,
3 - That what I said a post ago, the balloon pop soon and the water spread, the man don't take the entire mass of Dew, but yes I hadn't cosidered the geometric factor.
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users