Game ranks on profiles

• Please log in to reply
70 replies to this topic

Azakos

Azakos

Pro

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,097 posts

The rankings are based on the %age earned by the player against the average %age for the game. If there are more ranks then you can have narrower bands for each grade, so less variation over the course of the grade. As we have 4 ranks, S, A, B and C then it seems reasonable to assume that each rank represents 25% of players. (S for the top 25%, C for the bottom 25% etc.) By adding just one extra grade, the boundaries for each grade change so that instead each grade represents 20% of the players. So therefore the more grades there are available, the clearer your standing within the community. If, say, 4 more grades were added, then those receiving a 'G' would know that they were in the bottom 12.5% of players whereas at the moment those who would be in that band (and have 'C' ranks) only know that they are in the bottom 25% of players. Notice that under this system, the 'C' rank would apply to those who would have a low 'A' currently.
This assumes that the grades are allocated with an equal number of players per grade, but I trust you get my point

That doesn't quite work out the way you think. Say only one out of one hundred guys has a Platinum for a game. That S only represents 1% of the players. It's all dependent on everyone else's percentage, so you can't really generalize the amount of players to a letter grade.

Posted Image

civilred1

civilred1

• Pip
  • 24 posts

That doesn't quite work out the way you think. Say only one out of one hundred guys has a Platinum for a game. That S only represents 1% of the players. It's all dependent on everyone else's percentage, so you can't really generalize the amount of players to a letter grade.

No, I realise that the grades don't have equal %ages, I just used that as an example to illustrate my point.
Posted Image

GameOverComesAll

GameOverComesAll

Overlord

• PipPipPip
  • 236 posts
I've never taken much value from those ranks. I think the space would be better used by having a platinum trophy icon for the games in which you've earned it, rather than that platinum colored bar on the side.

GameOverComesAll.png

GenKP

GenKP

Premium Member

• Premium Member
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • LocationHanover, Germany
I would add an U (Unplayed) for 0%, like the S for 100%.

Is there an explanation at the page about this, beside this thread?

Posted Image

Platin & 100%
Posted Image

BarakKol33

BarakKol33

• Pip
  • 1 posts

I have 2 "E" ranks for games that a friend of mine let me test them out, so I think "E" is definitely the lowest rank  

bmj14772

bmj14772

What's next?

• Guide Team
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,225 posts
  • LocationNew York

"E" ranks are for games that you have earned, at least, one trophy but, not many more.  The lowest rank you will see is an "F" for a game that you installed but, never earned a trophy in.

obcqy1a.png
bmj14772.png

Sukezaemon32

Sukezaemon32

Still needs to master Sonic Adventure 2.

• PipPipPip
  • 228 posts
  • LocationUSA

It's not entirely that, certain games like Killzone 3 and Capcom Arcade Cabinet can still show F ranks with just one trophy.

Sukezaemon32.png

ZorroDelDemonio

ZorroDelDemonio

• Pip
  • 2 posts

I'd make it alphabetical, because right now I have no idea what rank is higher than other xD (S maybe?).

Let's say A for the best, B for the second best, then C, D, E...

ZorroDelDemonio.png

Starrk_01

Starrk_01

Primera

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 956 posts
  • LocationHueco Mundo

I'd make it alphabetical, because right now I have no idea what rank is higher than other xD (S maybe?).

Let's say A for the best, B for the second best, then C, D, E...

The rankings are as followed (from highest to lowest)

S, A, B, C, D, E, F

You can only get an S for 100% a game, while in the overwhelming majority of times the only time you can get an F is if you have 0%.  This ranking system mimics some games such as the Naruto games and Resident Evil 5, to mention a few, so it is not out of ordinary.

Hope this helps  :awesome:

Starrk_01.png   01e469a4-3908-4146-9378-cd4d04b2d51e_zps

Thanks to BeyondtheGrave07 for the signature.

drevviill

drevviill

Novice

• PipPip
  • 65 posts

so, if a game has dlc's and i won't get them , can't get a S rank?

drevviill.png

Starrk_01

Starrk_01

Primera

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 956 posts
  • LocationHueco Mundo

This is true, but don't let this stop you getting games with DLC or buying DLC that you do not want.  Ultimately your level depends on how many trophies and what types of trophies you have, not how many 100% you have.

so, if a game has dlc's and i won't get them , can't get a S rank?

Starrk_01.png   01e469a4-3908-4146-9378-cd4d04b2d51e_zps

Thanks to BeyondtheGrave07 for the signature.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users