Photo

Do you get mad at video games?

• Please log in to reply
139 replies to this topic

Poll: Anger (154 member(s) have cast votes)

Do you get mad at video games?

1. Yeah, blind rage, screaming and breaking controllers kinda stuff. (32 votes [20.78%])

Percentage of vote: 20.78%

2. Yeah, very much so. No one would know it watching me play though. (46 votes [29.87%])

Percentage of vote: 29.87%

3. Mildly, but eh... it's just a game. No reason to get too upset. (65 votes [42.21%])

Percentage of vote: 42.21%

4. No, never... video games are about fun. Play something else if you get mad. (11 votes [7.14%])

Percentage of vote: 7.14%

Vote Guests cannot vote

Dreakon139

Dreakon139

Pro

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,744 posts
  • LocationBuffalo, NY
I've been getting progressively worse since I started playing the NHL series online regularly. Between the game completely screwing you over, then the jackass on the other end playing horrifyingly unrealistic hockey and... worst of all, actually capitalizing on it... it's just infuriating. No broken controllers yet but it's starting to get to that point.

It's drifted into other games as well. Idiots on Uncharted 3 pretty much stalking me with shotguns, jumping around like morons to get close enough to one-shot kill me. Also pretty enraging.

Maybe I need to grow up a bit, but at the moment whipping the controller at the couch as hard as I can just feels so right.

So how do you react to games? What type of anger do you display while gaming? Any advice on how to keep myself from breaking my expensive controller someday? Chanting 'calm blue ocean' perhaps?

furbeach

furbeach

Lizard Queen

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 211 posts
  • LocationAustralia
I scream at the television, but no breaking controllers. I think that would make me even more mad... >.<

furbeach.png

CHAR MAN DUH

CHAR MAN DUH

Premium Member

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 895 posts
  • LocationGrimoire Wiess' Pages
now i hurl abuse towards the tv, it's mainly when im playing FPS's online, go figure lol.

i used to throw controllers breaking the R and L buttons lol, i also regret punching my metal bed when i was younger almost breaking my hand haha

I don't accept blank friend reqest and asking to gameshare results in an instant block.

Yd5d6.png

Splarklay Checklist | PS36tii Reviews | Spark-N

Parker

Parker

The Danger Zone!

• 5,008 posts
  • LocationThe Wind Squid Pub
Nope, I don't get mad at video games. I have enough to deal with in my everyday life so I don't want to play a game and get even more stressed. If I start to get even remotely agitated with a game I'm playing I'll simply change to something else, but it's extremely rare that I get bothered by a video game even with all the seemingly stupid people online.

Parker

Classic Game Room: 16-bit, 100% Awesome

mfbF15h.png

Thank you Fox for the awesome signature!

PSN: James_Page | Steam: Pagey the Wind Squid | XBL: Mopar Parker | NN: 1stGenCummins 

Wade_VC

Wade_VC

Pro

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,397 posts
  • LocationLodi, CA
At the game itself...rarely. I may curse, but get upset, nah. I just quit paying if I feel a game is "getting to me".

I used to get really ticked off at idiots online, but discovered years ago that these types aren't worth the time and effort of getting ticked-off over. Now if I end up in a room/game with some fuck-tard, I finish the match and find another room.

Posted Image

Dreakon139

Dreakon139

Pro

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,744 posts
  • LocationBuffalo, NY

Nope, I don't get mad at video games. I have enough to deal with in my everyday life so I don't want to play a game and get even more stressed. If I start to get even remotely agitated with a game I'm playing I'll simply change to something else, but it's extremely rare that I get bothered by a video game even with all the seemingly stupid people online.

Parker

Man, you haven't played these NHL games. I've never seen a game that punishes you so badly for playing well. I've lost more games where I've severely outplayed my opponent then I've won... that's absolutely infuriating lol.

Daramachenko

Daramachenko

The One and Only

• PipPipPip
  • 423 posts
  • LocationSomewhere in Los Angeles
I get video game rage alot. Sometimes I try to calm myself down, and sometimes I don't really give a fuck and just let it out.

Parker

Parker

The Danger Zone!

• 5,008 posts
  • LocationThe Wind Squid Pub

Man, you haven't played these NHL games. I've never seen a game that punishes you so badly for playing well. I've lost more games where I've severely outplayed my opponent then I've won... that's absolutely infuriating lol.

I think the last sports game I played was a basketball game on the Genesis. :D

I'm not that big into sports (except motorsports) but I can definitely see how it'd be annoying to lose after obviously being better than your opponent. I have a few friends that get absolutely furious at FPS games though, namely Battlefield when their teammates refuse to help attack or defuse M-Com stations. It's actually quite amusing to hear them scream over the mic to what are probably children.

Parker

Classic Game Room: 16-bit, 100% Awesome

mfbF15h.png

Thank you Fox for the awesome signature!

PSN: James_Page | Steam: Pagey the Wind Squid | XBL: Mopar Parker | NN: 1stGenCummins 

Deth

Deth

自殺

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,204 posts
  • LocationAokigahara
I swear a lot and get pretty damn mad, but I've never broken anything in a rage. I usually get mad while playing FPS games online. The angriest I've ever been probably was when I played Dead Space 2 on 'Hardcore'. I went up to Chapter 9 without saving and fucking died from one of those explosive dudes arms. Sad thing is he was already dead and I was just stomping body parts to see if any extra money or something would appear then BOOM. I was so mad, I punched myself in the face. I completely forgot about punching myself the next day... parents saw the lump on my jaw and thought my wisdom teeth were acting up. I only remembered hitting myself when I started playing the game again. Laughed my ass off when I remembered :D

Deth_Breath.png

VicFox

VicFox

The Legendary Hungry Wolf

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 316 posts
  • LocationTampa, FL
I get frustrated when something just isn't working out for me - like trying to figure out a puzzle in RE, or beat a boss in an RPG, like FFVIII - never angry though.

If I ever feel myself starting to get that way, I just save, stop, and do something else - either play a different game, watch some TV, or hop on the computer. After a little while, I come back and find that not only have I calmed down - I'm able to get through whatever was griefing me to begin with.

The more frustrated/angry you get - the less successful you're going to be at whatever is causing you problems.

ScreechingOwl

ScreechingOwl

Premium Member

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 407 posts
  • LocationGransys
I swear at the TV, I occasionally throw out an arm out to the TV in protest, for the TV to be reasonable towards me. I've never thrown the controller, or broken anything in anger. If I did it was so long ago I have forgotten.
Posted Image

Wade_VC

Wade_VC

Pro

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,397 posts
  • LocationLodi, CA
Ok...I confess......there IS a game that will tick me of to no end; and we are talking rage-city: Mario Kart!

I do not know what it is about that game, but man-o-man, it will get my blood pressure pumping in no time flat, and rage is putting it mildly. The Wii-wheel has seen more air-time that a commercial airplane...but I have to say; who in their right fucking mind would make a controller in the shape of a Frisbee...that is just asking for the friggin' thing to become airborne!

Needless to say, I haven't played MK in a good 1 1/2 years because it pisses me off so bad.

Other games, as I mentioned in my first post, nah.

Posted Image

broy300

broy300

Bring back Kirbz!!

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 451 posts
  • LocationMichigan, USA
The older I get, the less angry I become. Generally I'll just turn it off and play a different game. BUT there are some exceptions. Like the OP said....dickheads on NHL that use the same glitched move to score, any sort of spawn camping on a FPS and going into a corner on any racing game and some asshole taking you out for no reason.....So yeah offline very rarely, online occasionally.

broy300.png

Pipsqweek

Pipsqweek

Rookie

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 313 posts
  • LocationPeterborough
I'm with Owl on this one.
I spend enough of my hard-earned cash on gaming already without throwing expensive kit around in anger.
A few expletives and a gesture to the TV in frustration is about as bad as it gets.
I've also learnt that if I try again, 3 goes is my limit as each attempt gets worse so I switch to another game.

SteelSammy

SteelSammy

Pro

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,443 posts
  • LocationNew York
Hell yeah, I get pissed. Usually only when the game beats me- a critical glitch or other screw ups.

​If the game's just to hard, I stop and strategize a way to progress, instead of flipping out.

Zairozen- Wow, he can hold his beer as well (Sammy adams). *Applaud* I underestimated you, SteelSatan.

-------------

DJ13202- "I change my mind about a news team...Steelsammy should just be dictated news team because every piece of news I really even care about comes from him...so no news team...just...SAMMY"

bzoKJJk.gif

---------

AlteredFormula- "Sammy!! I think I love you!"

---------

BDKSimba- "gonna call U sammy badass from now on"

CHAR MAN DUH

CHAR MAN DUH

Premium Member

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 895 posts
  • LocationGrimoire Wiess' Pages
You know what pisses me off, not much but when a game gets stuck right at the bleeding end, damn you Dead Island it was unfortunate but luckily it saved itself

I don't accept blank friend reqest and asking to gameshare results in an instant block.

Yd5d6.png

Splarklay Checklist | PS36tii Reviews | Spark-N

zairozen

zairozen

Rookie

• PipPipPip
  • 304 posts
  • LocationNew England
When a game puts you at the disadvantage, with extremely limited supplies. Then expects you to fight/escape your way from poin A to point B, while dodging the worst enemy fire in the game.

Or when the game doesn't tell you what to do, so it leaves you wandering forever to find out 1 of 2 things. 1) The game glitched, and the cutscene didn't trigger, so you have to restart hoping it doesn't happen again. 2) You missed a key item/switch to progress further, or forgotten to kill a person on your way, and must restart.

The Hunger Games

TerminusCross

TerminusCross

Novice

• PipPip
  • 60 posts
  • LocationQuébec, Montréal
Too lazy to get mad. I just turn that shite off if I can't do anything, and come back later. Although years ago, while playing Doctor Mario, I opened up the Nintendo lid, stuck my mouth right by it and screamed ''EAT SHIT'' (in French) and snapped it shut and walked off. Haha.

Posted Image

d3m0nd00d

d3m0nd00d

Premium Member

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 292 posts
  • Locationvillage in PA
Yea - NBA Jam - on fire edition last night. I couldn't win a game to save my life. :( Went from 5-1 to like 5-7 in one night. Buzzer beaters, 2 points, to all out domination. I probably would have did better with my eyes closed.

d3m0nd00d.pngfs_overall.png

6193955020_67a62bee87.jpg
sig by the awesome kid420247

Azakos

Azakos

Pro

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,097 posts
One controller of mine has suffered the consequences of my anger at a video game. It happened while I was trying to complete the final level of Killzone 2's campaign on elite difficulty. I wasn't even at Radec yet. I was in front of the palace doors, at the final big wave of Helghast. This part literally takes only about three minutes to get through, but since I kept dying, I had been playing the same part for about three hours. Once my rage hit its climax, I tossed the controller up in the air and punched it. It was probably less comical than you're imagining. It was broken enough that I couldn't efficiently use it as all. I was forced into using what was formerly my worse controller. I played that part for another hour until I finally got passed it.

Moral of the story is: trophies make you do stupid shit.

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users